Lavender Hill for Me is a community website working to support Lavender Hill, a neighbourhood in Battersea, London and a home to about 250 shops, restaurants and small businesses. We take an active interest in developments that could improve Lavender Hill for residents, traders and visitors.
- A new tower on Battersea Park Road – with 213 flats!
- Changes at the Holy Trinity Church on the Common
- Lavender Hill retail roundup – September 2021
- A new start for this rather sad cluster of empty buildings on Wandsworth Road?
- Legal challenge to Lambeth on their approach to Clapham Common
- The Gideon Road Estate, off Lavender Hill, is getting several new buildings
- Broadband chaos in Battersea! But it’s likely to be worth it in the end.
- A new interesting beer shop & bar on the way for Lavender Hill
- The Lavender Hill / Latchmere Road junction is being rebuilt
- How have Lavender Hill’s restaurants done during the pandemic?
- The long-lost Cedars pub: finally restored, but not as a pub
- A new type of extension on the Shaftesbury estate
- In pictures: The new Pear Tree Cafe on Clapham Common
- Compulsory water meters are coming to Clapham Common Northside
- Part of the Queenstown Road cycle route’s set for an upgrade – but the worst bit may not see much change.
- The long-planned second entrance to Queenstown Road station may still be on track
- Lavender Hill’s back in business
- An update on the interesting Wixs Lane development
- Wasabi is opening a new branch in Clapham Junction
- Another twist in the development project at Parma Crescent
- Megan’s innovative new outdoor restaurant on the Common opens this Friday
- At last, the lights on Clapham Common are being repaired properly
- Vaacinations at Battersea Arts Centre
- Feeling brave? The toilets in the woods on Clapham Common are up for rent, to entrepreneurs with ideas.
- Megan’s has big plans for the Clapham Common skate park cafe
- The Milkman still delivers to Lavender Hill
- Lavender Hill retail roundup – February 2021
- A surprising planning decision on Taybridge Road
- Work starting to improve the Lavender Hill / Queenstown Road junction
- A big upgrade for Clapham Common’s basketball court
- John Archer, Battersea’s groundbreaking mayor, may be honoured with a statue on Lavender Hill
- A neon nod to Lavender Hill’s history, hidden away among Battersea’s new flats
- Walks aren’t just for the countryside! We review two recent walking guides in Battersea.
- Should the speed limit on Lavender Hill stay at 20 or be increased? Have your say…
- Go karts, climbing ropes, bowling, minigolf… a look at the big plans for the ex-Debenhams in Wandsworth
- The Christmas Forest is back on Lavender Hill… and are expecting record sales this year
- New pub for Clapham Junction: The London and South Western
- The final result of the long-running plans for a block of flats on Parma Crescent
- Could this garage become Lavender Hill’s smallest house?
- The Queens Arms in Battersea is back! A rare reopening of a long-closed neighbourhood pub.
- Good news on Asda’s scandalous planning application…
- Cycle lanes, 20mph, school streets, bollards and planters… what’s going on with Lavender Hill’s traffic?
- Two ‘architectural’ new houses are being built on Wix’s Lane
- The Battersea Studios office complex may be growing again
- Baguette Deli: A new French cafe on Lavender Hill
- Stormont Road: Car crashes in to the DayLewis pharmacy…
- Controversial plans to remove and pave over *all* the plants and greenery around Asda at Clapham Junction
- A new cycle lane – and less car parking – on Lavender Hill
- Lavender Hill’s Pizza Express is reopening
- In pictures: A charming Book Swap on Shirley Grove, Battersea
- Revealed: The future of Arding & Hobbs (Debenhams)
- In pictures: A quiet morning in Battersea’s Shaftesbury Estate
- The proposed block of flats on Parma Crescent has shrunk… and maybe disappeared.
- Could the mystery of 53 Lavender Hill be close to an end?
- Coming soon, to a lamp post near you: Electric car chargers
- Clapham Common’s bandstand cafe’s becoming an off license
- Bus stops are being extended, to cope with the Coronavirus
- Updates on the Queens Arms: Does a new licensee mean a reopening? And an architecturally bold extension.
- A small block of flats may be built on Eccles Road / Parma Crescent
- Classic Ealing comedy The Lavender Hill Mob, which gave our street some fame, is showing on BBC2
- Retail takeovers explained… why squatters now target empty shops rather than flats
- Lavender Hill’s local businesses are still open, and need our support! Here’s a list of restaurants and shops offering delivery, takeaway & collection.
- Sendero Coffee has opened a second branch on Queenstown Road
- Building space for business in Battersea
- Making Lavender Gardens more accessible
- Is the second entrance for Queenstown Road station still on track?
- Last Orders for the Queens Arms?
- Sainsbury’s closes for two weeks for refurbishment
- The Wandsworth Road Premier Inn is getting 13 more rooms
- DIY shops on & near Lavender Hill: a quick guide…
- The local all-electric car hire service will soon disappear
- Fresh new look for a tired old building on Lavender Hill
- The planning inspector agrees: advertising hoardings can’t avoid the planning process by pretending to be payphones
- Work underway at Clapham Junction’s new branch of Heidi
- A new ‘Apart Hotel’ on Lavender Hill?
- Changes to the Lavender Hill / Queenstown Road junction to make it safer
- A new type of postbox, for parcels, arrives on Lavender Hill
- Update: Work to start on new access to Asda
- A tax cut for (some of) Lavender Hill’s shops and restaurants
- Clapham Junction’s new Christmas lights – brought to you by our local traders
Category Archives: Food & drink
A new off license and bar is on its way to Lavender Hill. No Boring Beer have applied for a premises license to take over the shop at 22 Lavender Hill, which for the last couple of years has been … Continue reading
A while back we reported on the many changes afoot at Clapham Common’s cafes: all three are changing hands, and a fourth may be on the way. The central cafe, which was formerly La Baita, reopened this weekend after refurbishment … Continue reading
We’ve taken a quick look behind the scenes. Small-but-growing local business Megan’s took a new lease on the long-closed and dilapidated Recovery Cafe next to the skate park & basketball courts, and for the last month they have since been … Continue reading
Feeling brave? The toilets in the woods on Clapham Common are up for rent, to entrepreneurs with ideas.
They’ve been boarded up for as long as most of us can remember. At one stage someone stole part of the roof. The whole building leans just slightly. And they narrowly escaped complete demolition over a decade ago. But somehow, … Continue reading
A few weeks ago we reported that the gradually-deteriorating former Recovery Kitchen next door to the basketball courts had gone under offer for around £25,000 a year. And now we know that it’s being taken over by local restaurateur Megan’s, who already … Continue reading
It’s been a tough few months for our traders, with the always-difficult start of the year combining with yet another lockdown – but Lavender Hill has held up better than most. One of the emerging themes of lockdowns is that … Continue reading
It’s been closed since March 2017, and at some points we wondered if it would ever return – having seen major building works to add flats on the roof, a distinctly architectural new house built in the yard, and a … Continue reading
London is full of little nationality clusters, and the eastern end of Lavender Hill is very much a French one! It’s been helped by the Wix French and bilingual school (a pioneering initiative that’s been running for over a decade), … Continue reading
It’s a difficult time to be in the restaurant trade, whether you’re an independent trader or a large nationwide chain. Amid a painful series of layoffs and closures, it’s maybe not surprising that Pizza Express has been the latest to … Continue reading
Update (January 2021) – it’s finally occupied! By established local signmaker Signtair, who have relocated from their smaller previous shop across the road. Signtair’s former unit also has a new tenant which we’ll report on soon. 53 Lavender Hill is … Continue reading