Lavender Hill for Me is a community website working to support Lavender Hill, a neighbourhood in Battersea, London and a home to about 250 shops, restaurants and small businesses. We take an active interest in developments that could improve Lavender Hill for residents, traders and visitors.
- How have Lavender Hill’s restaurants done during the pandemic?
- The long-lost Cedars pub: finally restored, but not as a pub
- A new type of extension on the Shaftesbury estate
- In pictures: The new Pear Tree Cafe on Clapham Common
- Compulsory water meters are coming to Clapham Common Northside
- Part of the Queenstown Road cycle route’s set for an upgrade – but the worst bit may not see much change.
- The long-planned second entrance to Queenstown Road station may still be on track
- Lavender Hill’s back in business
- An update on the interesting Wixs Lane development
- Wasabi is opening a new branch in Clapham Junction
- Another twist in the development project at Parma Crescent
- Megan’s innovative new outdoor restaurant on the Common opens this Friday
- At last, the lights on Clapham Common are being repaired properly
- Vaacinations at Battersea Arts Centre
- Feeling brave? The toilets in the woods on Clapham Common are up for rent, to entrepreneurs with ideas.
- Megan’s has big plans for the Clapham Common skate park cafe
- The Milkman still delivers to Lavender Hill
- Lavender Hill retail roundup – February 2021
- A surprising planning decision on Taybridge Road
- Work starting to improve the Lavender Hill / Queenstown Road junction
- A big upgrade for Clapham Common’s basketball court
- John Archer, Battersea’s groundbreaking mayor, may be honoured with a statue on Lavender Hill
- A neon nod to Lavender Hill’s history, hidden away among Battersea’s new flats
- Walks aren’t just for the countryside! We review two recent walking guides in Battersea.
- Should the speed limit on Lavender Hill stay at 20 or be increased? Have your say…
- Go karts, climbing ropes, bowling, minigolf… a look at the big plans for the ex-Debenhams in Wandsworth
- The Christmas Forest is back on Lavender Hill… and are expecting record sales this year
- New pub for Clapham Junction: The London and South Western
- The final result of the long-running plans for a block of flats on Parma Crescent
- Could this garage become Lavender Hill’s smallest house?
- The Queens Arms in Battersea is back! A rare reopening of a long-closed neighbourhood pub.
- Good news on Asda’s scandalous planning application…
- Cycle lanes, 20mph, school streets, bollards and planters… what’s going on with Lavender Hill’s traffic?
- Two ‘architectural’ new houses are being built on Wix’s Lane
- The Battersea Studios office complex may be growing again
- Baguette Deli: A new French cafe on Lavender Hill
- Stormont Road: Car crashes in to the DayLewis pharmacy…
- Controversial plans to remove and pave over *all* the plants and greenery around Asda at Clapham Junction
- A new cycle lane – and less car parking – on Lavender Hill
- Lavender Hill’s Pizza Express is reopening
- In pictures: A charming Book Swap on Shirley Grove, Battersea
- Revealed: The future of Arding & Hobbs (Debenhams)
- In pictures: A quiet morning in Battersea’s Shaftesbury Estate
- The proposed block of flats on Parma Crescent has shrunk… and maybe disappeared.
- Could the mystery of 53 Lavender Hill be close to an end?
- Coming soon, to a lamp post near you: Electric car chargers
- Clapham Common’s bandstand cafe’s becoming an off license
- Bus stops are being extended, to cope with the Coronavirus
- Updates on the Queens Arms: Does a new licensee mean a reopening? And an architecturally bold extension.
- A small block of flats may be built on Eccles Road / Parma Crescent
- Classic Ealing comedy The Lavender Hill Mob, which gave our street some fame, is showing on BBC2
- Retail takeovers explained… why squatters now target empty shops rather than flats
- Lavender Hill’s local businesses are still open, and need our support! Here’s a list of restaurants and shops offering delivery, takeaway & collection.
- Sendero Coffee has opened a second branch on Queenstown Road
- Building space for business in Battersea
- Making Lavender Gardens more accessible
- Is the second entrance for Queenstown Road station still on track?
- Last Orders for the Queens Arms?
- Sainsbury’s closes for two weeks for refurbishment
- The Wandsworth Road Premier Inn is getting 13 more rooms
- DIY shops on & near Lavender Hill: a quick guide…
- The local all-electric car hire service will soon disappear
- Fresh new look for a tired old building on Lavender Hill
- The planning inspector agrees: advertising hoardings can’t avoid the planning process by pretending to be payphones
- Work underway at Clapham Junction’s new branch of Heidi
- A new ‘Apart Hotel’ on Lavender Hill?
- Changes to the Lavender Hill / Queenstown Road junction to make it safer
- A new type of postbox, for parcels, arrives on Lavender Hill
- Update: Work to start on new access to Asda
- A tax cut for (some of) Lavender Hill’s shops and restaurants
- Clapham Junction’s new Christmas lights – brought to you by our local traders
- New entrance building proposed for Battersea Business centre
- A new bakery & four new restaurants for Lavender Hill
- An ‘accidental’ sculpture for Lavender Hill’s new urban park
- It’s Christmas tree time!
- Can you really rely on an electric car without a driveway to charge it in? A review of our local charging points.
- Local councillor constituencies are changing in Battersea: Say hello to the ‘Lavender’ Ward
- New cycle hire location on the way – south end of Cedars Road
- Are Debenhams & T.K.Maxx both closing?
- Three new Cafes for Lavender Hill: Howdy, Maiolica, and 2Love
Category Archives: Retail
We’re finally getting back to normal. And the good news is, while the going has been tough and there’s been a lot of hard work and trouble along the way, most of Lavender Hill’s shops and restaurants have made it … Continue reading
It’s been a bit of an eyesore for years. The Cedars, a large building at 5 Lavender Hill, has been empty for ages since its previous incarnation (late bar / club Ashtar) moved to Vauxhall. Going back further it was … Continue reading
It’s a tale of modern times. As the Coronavirus has emptied out the city centre, some of the chains who made much of their income from lunch time visits by office workers have had to adapt their approach fast! Pret … Continue reading
It’s been a tough few months for our traders, with the always-difficult start of the year combining with yet another lockdown – but Lavender Hill has held up better than most. One of the emerging themes of lockdowns is that … Continue reading
Go karts, climbing ropes, bowling, minigolf… a look at the big plans for the ex-Debenhams in Wandsworth
The large ex-Debenhams in Wandsworth’s Southside shopping centre is set to host a bowling alley, electric go-karting, laser tag arena, arcade, rope climbing, and minigolf course, alongside myriad other activities like pool tables & darts – as well as a … Continue reading
After a gloomy year, expectations are that Christmas tree sales will break all records as we all try to make the most of spending even more time at home rather more than we usually would be. Sales have already got … Continue reading
A few weeks ago we reported on proposals by Asda to remove all the trees and plants around their Clapham Junction store, and pave over the green areas with tarmac and a glued gravel finish, seemingly to cut maintenance costs. … Continue reading
London is full of little nationality clusters, and the eastern end of Lavender Hill is very much a French one! It’s been helped by the Wix French and bilingual school (a pioneering initiative that’s been running for over a decade), … Continue reading
As we confirmed some time ago – Debenhams at Clapham Junction will never reopen. It’s a great shame to lose it, and our sympathy is with our many readers who used to work there. But it raises a very immediate … Continue reading
Update (January 2021) – it’s finally occupied! By established local signmaker Signtair, who have relocated from their smaller previous shop across the road. Signtair’s former unit also has a new tenant which we’ll report on soon. 53 Lavender Hill is … Continue reading