Lavender Hill for Me is a community website working to support Lavender Hill, a neighbourhood in Battersea, London and a home to about 250 shops, restaurants and small businesses. We take an active interest in developments that could improve Lavender Hill for residents, traders and visitors.
- An unusual new house for the Shaftesbury Estate
- New cafe: Maiella Worth, 789 Wandsworth Road
- A new ‘tiny house’ house for Marney Road?
- A cluster of new office developments is coming soon to Queenstown Road
- In Pictures: Ashley Crescent at dusk
- Farewell to The Corner Stone bookshop on Lavender Hill
- Has anyone forgotten a boat on Queenstown Road?
- In pictures: Lavender Hill’s fading mural still has plenty of charm
- Lavender Hill’s mystery weathervane
- A chance Google Street View encounter in Clapham
- Brace yourselves for a flood of lamp post advertising banners
- The complex past & intriguing future of the Boots site on Falcon Lane
- Work begins on the controversial block of flats on Parma Crescent
- A new start for the old Royal British Legion on Lavender Hill
- In pictures: Lavender Hill Fish & Chips is opening a sister business next door
- No Boring Beer is now open on Lavender Hill
- Works update: Arding & Hobbs at Clapham Junction
- Exhibition and play on John Archer, the first Black Mayor in London – this Friday at Battersea Arts Centre
- A new tower on Battersea Park Road – with 213 flats!
- Changes at the Holy Trinity Church on the Common
- Lavender Hill retail roundup – September 2021
- A new start for this rather sad cluster of empty buildings on Wandsworth Road?
- Legal challenge to Lambeth on their approach to Clapham Common
- The Gideon Road Estate, off Lavender Hill, is getting several new buildings
- Broadband chaos in Battersea! But it’s likely to be worth it in the end.
- A new interesting beer shop & bar on the way for Lavender Hill
- The Lavender Hill / Latchmere Road junction is being rebuilt
- How have Lavender Hill’s restaurants done during the pandemic?
- The long-lost Cedars pub: finally restored, but not as a pub
- A new type of extension on the Shaftesbury estate
- In pictures: The new Pear Tree Cafe on Clapham Common
- Compulsory water meters are coming to Clapham Common Northside
- Part of the Queenstown Road cycle route’s set for an upgrade – but the worst bit may not see much change.
- The long-planned second entrance to Queenstown Road station may still be on track
- Lavender Hill’s back in business
- An update on the interesting Wixs Lane development
- Wasabi is opening a new branch in Clapham Junction
- Another twist in the development project at Parma Crescent
- Megan’s innovative new outdoor restaurant on the Common opens this Friday
- At last, the lights on Clapham Common are being repaired properly
- Vaacinations at Battersea Arts Centre
- Feeling brave? The toilets in the woods on Clapham Common are up for rent, to entrepreneurs with ideas.
- Megan’s has big plans for the Clapham Common skate park cafe
- The Milkman still delivers to Lavender Hill
- Lavender Hill retail roundup – February 2021
- A surprising planning decision on Taybridge Road
- Work starting to improve the Lavender Hill / Queenstown Road junction
- A big upgrade for Clapham Common’s basketball court
- John Archer, Battersea’s groundbreaking mayor, may be honoured with a statue on Lavender Hill
- A neon nod to Lavender Hill’s history, hidden away among Battersea’s new flats
- Walks aren’t just for the countryside! We review two recent walking guides in Battersea.
- Should the speed limit on Lavender Hill stay at 20 or be increased? Have your say…
- Go karts, climbing ropes, bowling, minigolf… a look at the big plans for the ex-Debenhams in Wandsworth
- The Christmas Forest is back on Lavender Hill… and are expecting record sales this year
- New pub for Clapham Junction: The London and South Western
- The final result of the long-running plans for a block of flats on Parma Crescent
- Could this garage become Lavender Hill’s smallest house?
- The Queens Arms in Battersea is back! A rare reopening of a long-closed neighbourhood pub.
- Good news on Asda’s scandalous planning application…
- Cycle lanes, 20mph, school streets, bollards and planters… what’s going on with Lavender Hill’s traffic?
- Two ‘architectural’ new houses are being built on Wix’s Lane
- The Battersea Studios office complex may be growing again
- Baguette Deli: A new French cafe on Lavender Hill
- Stormont Road: Car crashes in to the DayLewis pharmacy…
- Controversial plans to remove and pave over *all* the plants and greenery around Asda at Clapham Junction
- A new cycle lane – and less car parking – on Lavender Hill
- Lavender Hill’s Pizza Express is reopening
- In pictures: A charming Book Swap on Shirley Grove, Battersea
- Revealed: The future of Arding & Hobbs (Debenhams)
- In pictures: A quiet morning in Battersea’s Shaftesbury Estate
- The proposed block of flats on Parma Crescent has shrunk… and maybe disappeared.
- Could the mystery of 53 Lavender Hill be close to an end?
- Coming soon, to a lamp post near you: Electric car chargers
- Clapham Common’s bandstand cafe’s becoming an off license
- Bus stops are being extended, to cope with the Coronavirus
- Updates on the Queens Arms: Does a new licensee mean a reopening? And an architecturally bold extension.
- A small block of flats may be built on Eccles Road / Parma Crescent
- Classic Ealing comedy The Lavender Hill Mob, which gave our street some fame, is showing on BBC2
- Retail takeovers explained… why squatters now target empty shops rather than flats
- Lavender Hill’s local businesses are still open, and need our support! Here’s a list of restaurants and shops offering delivery, takeaway & collection.
Category Archives: Housing
We regularly write about interesting and planning applications – and this one on Heathwall Street below Battersea Arts Centre certainly makes a change from the usual run of bi-fold doors and mansard loft extensions. The site is currently a row … Continue reading
We have a curious fascination for tiny houses, fitted on to implausibly small scraps of spare land – and proposals crop up regularly in planning. We’ve previously covered tiny house plans on Sugden Road, and at what later became a … Continue reading
Dusk falls over the quiet green space between the flats on Ashley Crescent, with a glimpse of the brighter lights of Lavender Hill in the background. One of many estates of similar design, the architect of Ashley Crescent was L. … Continue reading
We’ve been following the twists and turns of a proposed development on Parma Crescent (on the opposite side of Lavender Hill to Asda) for some time. Developers bought a small house with a large garden, and went through a series … Continue reading
The junction of Wandsworth Road, North Street and Silverthorne Road has seen happier days. Dilapidated buildings, broken windows, peeling paint, and an air of abandonment, suggest the world has moved on from this little bit of our neighbourhood- in marked … Continue reading
It’s of the largest building projects on Lavender Hill for years: Wandsworth Council has finally got work underway to build new housing in “spare” bits of land in the Gideon Road Estate. Demolition to clear the site happened well over … Continue reading
Way back, we reported on a residential development being proposed on Wixs Lane, which would replace the car park of Dacres House (a block of flats on Cedars Road) with two semi-detached modern houses (one three-bed and one four-bed). Several … Continue reading
Wandsworth have just made an interesting planning decision – which is maybe the sign of a new approach to urban trees and greenery in Wandsworth. It’s on a site that a couple of years ago was very controversially converted from … Continue reading
We’ve written a few articles about the plans to demolish the (somewhat unusual) small house with a big garden on Parma Crescent, and replace it with a small block of flats. The first time we wrote about it it proved … Continue reading
A brand new house is being proposed, at 155c Lavender Hill – behind Froud’s barber shop. And it might be one of the smallest houses in Battersea! The plans are to convert an existing one-car garage on Sugden Road in … Continue reading